Sunday, February 27, 2011

You Can Tell a Tree By it's Fruit

Saturday, February 26, 2011
Sorry this is a day late friends! I hope you make it to the end of my short novel :) - Allie


Today was the last day our group visited the Shone Community. It has been an eye opening experience thus far, but today was the day our hearts opened too.

When we arrived at the ADP office this morning, there were about 20 young adults hanging around outside. After an exchange of smiles and handshakes (mixed with some broken Amharic on our part), we found out that these kids were university students waiting for transportation to the college. When Samuel, the ADP manager, came out to greet us, he said that all of the kids were grown-up sponsored children. Translation... they're doing it! They are making something out of the opportunity that was given to them by their sponsors overseas. One of the boys spoke up and said that he had been sponsored since he was 14-years-old and that attending college was only possible because of World Vision.

We had the students go around the circle and tell us what they were majoring in. We heard majors from clinical nursing to human resources to agriculture to biology. The greatest joy was when we asked how many of them are Christ followers and every hand shot up. Amazing! More Kingdom workers!! GOD IS GOOD, and these kids would be the first to tell you so!

The big event on today's agenda, however, was to visit a local farmer. From the moment we entered the property, we knew something was different. Most of the land that we have seen (in all our driving!) has been barren... lots of open fields, a few trees, maybe some huts with precious kiddos running around... but open and bare. All of a sudden, we entered into a lush and fruitful garden. Truly the Eden of Ethiopia! I remember questioning, "Where are they getting the water? Is there a spring below?"

We were greeted with such warmth and hospitality (a reoccurring theme we have experienced each and every day that we have been here). Elias was his name, and can I just say, Old McDonald's got nothing on this farmer! He is one of the most charismatic men I have ever met... although he didn't speak a word of English, it didn't matter! We were hooked all the same because this man lives and breathes Jesus... and it is contagious! Through translation we learned about his life including his rough beginning, how he married his wife... and about his garden (please ask one of the team members more about his life as each story has a connection to Jesus, but for now, I'll focus on his farming).

Elias said that everything he knows is from the Bible, including how he learned to grow his garden. He says most farmers in the area are "Lazy Farmers". They don't prepare during the dry season so when the rain comes and they haven't received the gifts they're expecting... they are disappointed (which by the way, rain, is the only source of water for his plants). He keeps a space in his garden barren to teach the local farmers.
"But someone will say, 'You have faith; I have deeds.' Show me your faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith by what I do." - James 2:18 Elias is a "doer". He lives out his faith by preparing his fields during each dry season and waits in great faith as he knows God will provide, without question! And... He does.

Elias received two National Awards from Ethiopia in addition to many more awards from the Ministry of Agriculture. From all of these awards, he received a piece of land which he sold for 27,000 Birr ($1626 Dollars). With this money, he purchased 6 oxen and gave them to his fellow farmers who had none. He did this simply to show God's love for them.

"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."
- Matthew 6:19-21

Elias is eternally minded. He is "no fool [to] give what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose" (Jim Elliot). His treasure is in heaven and so is his heart.

To me, this is beauty. This is Jesus' heart expressed in Elias' life. "Thy kingdom come, thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven..." Elias is a kingdom worker.

Lets back up 15 hours or so to the night before during our group devotional time. I had just confessed that I was still waiting for something. I was waiting to connect my heart with someone.... a child, a mother, a father... anyone! We have learned so many wonderful things and have seen big movements, but have yet to have some one-on-one time to just get to know the heart of the people.

Now flash back to the farm and back to the tour of the garden. God answered my prayer and everyone on my team got to witness as a little boy sought me out. While we were all gathered around Elias, listening to his stories, this little boy (who looked to be around 6-years-old) walked up to me and held out his hand to offer an avocado. Imagine this sweet boy with perfect, smooth, chocolate skin, in tattered clothes wearing a Barbie sweatshirt, loving innocence radiating from his presence, stretching out his hand to offer me the very best gift he could give. It was at that moment a little boy broke through every barrier - language, cultural, age... - to bless me, to love me. By his action, God said, "I hear you, Allie."

This opened a door to have that heart-to-heart that I've been searching for. With the help of our friend and translator, Tamiru, I was able to find out that his name is Fetene, he is 8-years-old, has 6 siblings and they all live with his Mommy and Daddy. I then gave him a picture of my family. He gasped as if he was given gold! This was the first time I saw a smile. I pointed to each member of my family and explained who they were. We were connecting hearts!

When we finished the tour, we were invited to sit and have lunch at a table in the shade of a tree and enjoy fresh produce. I will never forget the look on Elias' face when he presented us with an extra large platter of fruit. He had the biggest smile which was pushed forward by his pride. Not an arrogant pride, but a healthy pride. A pride that boasts in the Lord. He was beaming as he gave us the very fruit that he grew. All his time, sweat, labor, faith... on a platter. How can I throw a respectable dinner party after that?

We feasted on avocados, exceptionally fat bananas, roasted barley, and coffee - organic of course! His family gathered around as we ate. It was then that I found that Fetene was Elias' son!

Before we left, we prayed for Elias and his family. This picture has also been branded on my heart. Here was a family who - in the eyes of most Americans - had nothing and at the same time, had everything. There he sat, next to his beautiful wife, surrounded by their 6 children, and received our prayer. The image of this family is picture perfect to me. The love that they share is evident as is their heart for Christ, lead by the man of the household. The youngest child was 2-years-old and he prayed quietly with the rest of us as he rested his sweet head on his mother's chest. This was a Christ centered family.

Before we left, I asked Tamiru if he would help me translate something I wanted to ask Elias. By that time, I had given a picture to each of his children by request (it's so strange to me still, but the children received the pictures as treasured gifts!). I wanted him to know that all of his children had pictures of my family. I asked him if he would ask his children to pray for my son, who just turned one. I asked if they would pray for his heart and that he would be a light that would shine for Christ, as he does for his family and anyone who meets him. Elias told me that his work is not just to tend to his crops, but to the hearts of people, and not just people there but people all over the world. Yes, they will pray for my son.

Mothers and fathers out there, you can imagine my heart at that moment. Having a family on the other side of the world support my child - in the name of Jesus!- was an indescribable feeling! Here was another connection of my heart (Jesus was all over my prayer request that day!). My son, Ethan, is my world, my heart, my treasure (in the healthiest way possible, not to undermine Jesus!). There is nothing more I desire than for my son/my children to not just survive their time on earth, but thrive! *Light bulb* My desire for my child is no different than the other mothers in this country. They want their children to thrive too! And the connections just keep on comin'... :)

Families who are reading this and who are sponsoring a child through World Vision, you are touching a family in ways you cannot imagine. Even though I am in the midst of it all right now, I still don't completely understand the extent of our blessing... but I got a piece of it today.

In a way, Elias' family is "sponsoring" my child in El Dorado Hills, CA through prayer. Ethan has prayer partners on the other side of the globe! Seriously?! It's beyond amazing.

It's funny. God's funny. Here I am, on my missions trip, to learn how I can help the poor and the needy. In visiting Elias' garden and his family I am reminded that he is rich, so rich in spirit. At the end of the day, I was the one asking... needing... his help.

Touched and Encouraged,
Allie
 
 
 
 
 
 

4 comments:

  1. Hi Allie:
    I'm thrilled to hear that you guys are on the trip and having such an amazing time there. Your story about Elias and his little boy was very touching. We all want our children to be healthy and thrive...just as our Father wants for us! I'd love to get together with you guys when you get home and hear more stories. You and the team are in our prayers. Love and Blessings--Collette

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an amazing story! I only wish I could have been there with you. I am so glad to hear how God is moving you through this journey. You are missed and loved so much, but I know that God has a purpose for you there and it sounds like you are starting to find His path. I will continue to pray for you and those around you. Love, Mark

    ReplyDelete
  3. Allie,
    Thank you for painting such a beautiful picture, the "Eden in Ethiopia"!! The story about Elias, his farm, and his family really touched me. This story served me, his farm fed me today, all the way in Folsom, CA. I love how God shows his faihtfulness through His provisions, and this is exactly what I needed to hear (read/see) today.
    Thank you,
    Lisa Q

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Allie, thank you for such a thorough and eloquent description of this special day! I am thrilled that you have been touched and moved on your trip - truly an answer to prayer for me too! May God continue to reveal GREAT things to you all.
    Lots of love,
    ~ Pam L.

    ReplyDelete